Friday, August 10, 2007

Context

I wrote about the ingredients for growing into a successful artist. And then the ingredients for being a successful artist/entrepreneur. But what I left out of all this is context. And context matters a great deal.

The context is where we are in our lives.

It takes the right time and place as much as anything else to help bring all of this together. I could not do what I am doing without the support and encouragement of my family. If I had to be the sole breadwinner, and raise a family, and then try to fit in being creative too....I don't think I could manage it. If we didn't have healthcare coverage, then we would have to look for other solutions.
We can pay the mortgage. We can pay for a few extras. But there is not much breathing room in our budget. Not like when we had two paychecks and no kids. But we have what we need, and a bit more.

So all the things I talked about have to have the overlay of where you are in your life. How much sacrifice are you willing to make to make room for your art? How critical is it that you make money from your business right away? How much support can you expect from family and friends as you pursue your dream? It is your dream afterall. Not theirs. And they will be impacted by it. These are the hard questions we all have to face at times, and the answers are not always clear, nor are they universal. The answers are found deep inside ourselves, and may take time to work out. And the answer may be, not right now. The desire may be there, but the timing may be wrong. This doesn't mean we have to close the door forever. Just for right now, if need be.

So, if you read the last two posts, and thought,
"sure, sure....she just doesn't get it. I can't do that right now, not with my life."

I do get it. But sometimes we have to look at the utopian view, and then overlay the reality. But we can still hold onto the dream, no matter how much the current reality may hold us back. Postponing is different than walking away forever. Or slowing down, rather than going full speed ahead. We each need to measure our own pace. But still mindful of where we want to be.

4 comments:

Silastones said...

You are right about this last ingredient. The good example is my situation. I have been claying everyday up until last week when I have to get a job. Now my art, my dream, became second priority (or third). But I am not going to give this up because I think I have the right ingredients to be successful.

Judy said...

Thanks for your comment Silastone. I agree that you do have what it takes to be successful. I hope that you are able to get back to a place where your art can have more time.

Anonymous said...

Judy,

What you said was so true! I don't think that my door is ever closed, it's always cracked, but never completely closed! LOL!! By slowing down and walking away and coming back again, I find it a good way to critique my work. (I have a fresh prospective on it!) I think that getting there slowly, I will learn so much more.

I always find my "bar of success" has risen with each thing that (I feel) I have accomplished.... there is always something new to learn, so the bar goes up! Thanks again Judy! Love your Blog!!

Judy said...

Hi Tina,
Thanks for your comments and insight. I find sometimes I go back and hate something....but then years later I can look at it and see something about it I didn't appreciate at the time. All our experiences, on or off the path, give us new perspective, I suppose.