Monday, April 30, 2007

Paradise Lost, Paradise Visited

Saturday I got the news from Paradise City that I was not accepted into the fall show. Not even waitlisted. For the last few years, I have been waitlisted. Patiently waiting to have my turn at this great show.

Part of the problem could have been timing. Usually I try to get my applications in as soon as possible. Why? Generally the slides/images are reviewed in the order in which they are received. Looking at all the slides and evaluating them is an exhausting task. Especially in categories like jewelry where there are far more entries than spaces. If you wait to submit at the deadline, you are likely to face an exhausted jury panel. There are no guarantees with any jury. But certainly doing what you can to make sure your work is seen in the best light possible is a wise move. If you ever get a chance to take a class with Bruce Baker about slide jurying, do not hesitate. Sign up immediately. You will gain tremendous insight into the process and lots of tips on how you can present your work in the best possible light. If you can't take the class, then get the CD.

I just zipped up my suitcase, and will board a plane this afternoon to head for Las Vegas. The convention center and my hotel are both on Paradise Road. I have the nagging feeling that I am forgetting something. But I seem to have that each time I go on a trip. Whatever it might be, it is probably not critical.

I have signed up for a photo session with George Post at the show. He will have a photo set-up there, and I plan on getting some shots of my jewelry. This may be the thing that will make getting into Paradise City and a few other elusive shows more possible. It will also allow me to see a direct comparison to the photos I have been taking. Jewelry has been especially difficult for me to photograph, and it is something that he specializes in. Time to step it up a notch.

I will try to post from time to time this week to share this adventure into new terrain. It will be a week of discovery and learning for me, and, I hope, for you too.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Have a great show in Vegas Judy! It's Paradise City's loss not to have you. I hope you share your new George Post shots when you have them. His photography is excellent.